Center for Global Services
Transfer of J-1 Visa Sponsorship from Rutgers
(Professors, Researchers, & Special Visiting Research Students Only)

Note: the instructions below do NOT apply to full-time degree-seeking students planning to transfer to Rutgers' visa sponsorship. Those instructions appear on the Transfer of Visa Sponsorship from Rutgers page.

J-1 professors and researchers planning to transfer from Rutgers' visa sponsorship to another U.S. institution must first complete the top portion of a "J-1 Professor/Scholar Transfer Out Form" and have the bottom portion completed by the international office at the school to which you will transfer. In addition, we will ask you to submit a memo from your Rutgers supervisor confirming that the program at your new institution will be "in keeping with your original J-1 program objective" at Rutgers. (Regulations permit J-1 transfers only if the new program does NOT constitute a change in the visitor's original objectives.). Also, all J-1s who are transferring to another J-1 program sponsor must submit a completed "Request to Close SEVIS Record" form.

Note: When considering a potential SEVIS transfer date, visitors should note that the latest possible date to release a visitor's SEVIS record is the end date of the visitor's current DS-2019 form.