Center for Global Services
H-1B Sponsorship

H-1B is a nonimmigrant visa and status that permits professional employment. An employer must file an H-1B petition with the USCIS and obtain approval for it; an "alien beneficiary" must obtain H-1B status either by applying for an H-1B visa abroad and entering the U.S. in H-1B status, or by changing to H-1B status from another nonimmigrant status in the U.S.

At Rutgers, the employing department prepares the H-1B petition and attachments according to instructions provided by the Center for Global Services ; in turn, staff of the Center review, process and submit the petition to the USCIS.

H-1B employment may not begin until a Center staff member informs the department that all necessary approvals have been received.

With rare exception, Rutgers University policy restricts H-1B sponsorship to full time faculty appointments only. For teaching faculty, "Assistant Professor" is the lowest range title for which Rutgers will sponsor an H-1B. For research faculty, the lowest range H-1B title is generally "Research Associate" unless very specific exceptional criteria as adjudged by the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs are met.

The First Step: E-mail the Center for an H-1B Packet
E-mail the Center for Global Services at and in the subject line write, "H-1B Packet Needed". In the body of the message provide all of the following information (clip and paste the list below into your email to us):

The Next Step: Receive an H-1B Packet Via Email Assuming we have no questions about the information you provide in your request for an H-1B packet, we will e-mail you a complete set of instructions which will include several forms for you to complete, as well as samples on how to complete them. Most forms will be in PDF format and can be completed online before printing them out.